Tamiya StuG III Ausf. G

The theme of this Group Build is the 70th Anniversary of the End of World War II. Dates of the Group Build: August 1, 2014 – September 15, 2015
Please read the GB rules on participation.

Tamiya StuG III Ausf. G

Postby minuteman1636 » 14 Feb 2015 06:21

I'm building the Tamiya 1/35th StuG III Ausf. G. I am adding Cavalier zimmerit and Eduard photo-etch.

Here is the kit with the Cavalier Zimmerit parts added. You have to add zimmerit by hand because Cavalier did not provide enough zimmerit parts for the entire vehicle.

In this photo, the bottom part is a Cavalier resin replacement. The Waffle pattern zimmerit on the top surface is being done by hand with a small tool that Cavalier provides.

This is my first time ever trying to make zimmerit. I know its not going to be perfect. The goal is to get the experience and finish the kit. I'm having fun with it so far.

I wish the stuff that I had to do by hand matched the grey resin zimmerit better. But, I think when I get the vehicle painted and weathered it will look ok to me.

I have more work to do obviously.

Here is the front glacis gap filled. I'm not happy with how it looks in the white. Perhaps I will look better after primed, painted and weathered.

This photo shows the area just below the vent fan cover filled with putty and texture added using a toothpick.

Here is where I am currently at after spraying the road wheel rubber parts flat black tonight.

Overall, I am satisfied with how the waffle pattern areas I did by hand seem to blend with the resin parts. I think it will look better after filters and weathering.
minuteman1636
Just Got Here
Just Got Here

Re: Tamiya StuG III Ausf. G

Postby minuteman1636 » 16 Feb 2015 17:55

I did some more work on the STUG on Sunday night. The first thing I did was airbrush the road wheels and return rollers.

Overview of road wheels after painting and assembly.

The next task is assembly of the Fruilmodel white metal tracks. I'm using set ATL-05 for the Panzer III/IV. The track pattern and details are the same type as replicated in the kits vinyl tracks.

In the box you get a bag of right hand track links, a bag of left hand track links, an instruction sheet and a roll of small wire for connecting the links.

This is a pile of links out of one bag.

I build Fruilmodel tracks in runs of 10 links. This helps break up the monotony of assembly. Here are the steps I take:
1. Trim up white metal flash on links if needed.
2. Drill out track pin holes on both sides of link as needed.
3. Repeat for 10 links.

4. I then use the wire to connect 10 links together. I use a small drop of CA glue to seal the hole for the wire (track pin).

Youjust can't beat the appearance you get with the Fruil tracks.

This is where I stopped at last night.
minuteman1636
Just Got Here
Just Got Here

Re: Tamiya StuG III Ausf. G

Postby Brawler3_2 » 12 Mar 2015 10:38

Nice work there: I like how the zimmerit turned out. I'm looking forward to how you'll weather this thing.
Brawler3_2

Return to Group Build "The Final Days"