1:35 IS-2

The theme of this Group Build is the 70th Anniversary of the End of World War II. Dates of the Group Build: August 1, 2014 – September 15, 2015
Please read the GB rules on participation.

1:35 IS-2

Postby Brawler3_2 » 03 Aug 2014 14:12

So I guess I'm the first to post a topic here: might as well make it my first post on tAJ. The Final Days campaign is a good excuse for me to try my hand at a kit that I've been wanting to build for a long time: tamiya's IS-2.

The kit is typical tamiya fare: look good proportionally and things like the fit and ease of build are divine, but the detail leaves somewhat to be desired in places. Hence the objective (since I have a year) is to try and improve my skills by building as much as possible from plasticcard and limiting aftermarket additions. The one thing I do want to add is a set of Masterclub resin tracks for the IS series that I should have lying around somewhere. I'm also considering a set of AM tow cables and some figures. For now I can focus on the green plastic so lets start with the basics.

The main runnning gear built up, save for a few small things. I opted to try and add some texture to the plating as well as to suspension arms.

After that I got a little impatient and did some large assemblies. I added a thin plastic strip to simulate the casting seam and added some homemade texturing to the turret. Once I have templates to replace the fenders, I'll carve those off and add some similar texture to the hull areas. For now, I need to figure out which one I want to build specifically.

I like the obnoxiously large numbers on the turret of the first shot, but the second vehicle looks 'lived' with its battered skirts full of gear and unditching logs. Fortunately I still have some time to decide.
Brawler3_2

Re: 1:35 IS-2

Postby Minsk94 » 04 Aug 2014 19:05

Excellent choice of a subject! I have a same kit sitting on the shelf, waiting for its day, but I am not ready to count those rivets yet :)

As far as the hull texture I wouldn't go too wild there. the hull itself was welded together from the rolled steel, not cast. Only the frontal part was cast. So the cast texture wouldn't be as heavy as on the turret.

Plus, depending on the manufacturer, the front hull texture may not be too prominent also.
Best Regards,
Alex

Minsk94
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Brawler3_2 » 06 Aug 2014 06:59

Thanks for the pointers on the cast texture. I'm currently also trying to add some casting marks to the turret and front hull. As for counting those rivets...yeah there's quite a bit more to taking this kit up a notch that you'd think at first glance: it's tiny stuff, but those subtleties will make the difference in the end (that is, if I don't mess it up completely or trip up over painting the damn thing :doh!: ). Hoping to post some sort of update soon.
Brawler3_2

Postby Brawler3_2 » 06 Aug 2014 09:35

Also something I wanted to ask: does that hull front in the photo I posted look rectangular? If so is it a UTZM production vehicle, because in that case I have to start chopping the nose now.
Brawler3_2

Postby Minsk94 » 07 Aug 2014 00:23

Yes, it does seem like a straight UZTM nose. Here is a larger photo:

I don't think the chopping of the nose is the solution; maybe adding more to it would be easier? Otherwise you may end up with a shorter nose.

Best Regards,
Alex

Minsk94
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Brawler3_2 » 09 Aug 2014 15:59

Thanks for that second photo Minsk. I does clear up some things for me. I have a year so I'll take it easy and try to turn it into a UZTM nose. Simply adding a bit isn't going to be accurate enough, since the lower hull front and sides need to match up and the cast section of the nose is actually broader than on the Chelyabinsk type. But I'm lacking a few tools so I'll need to bring in supplies first. In the meantime here's the progress of the vehicle so far.

So far I've made some drawings of the fenders and removed the kit parts. They're mostly intact so they can serve as future reference. Added more texture to both the cast and rolled steel sections and added the rear mounted ball MG in the back. There's a few small parts left in the box but I don't want to go mad with those untill construction is in its final phase. I also need to add some casting marks and measure out some more points for the rails.

I've also enlisted some help. These comrades are potentially going to help defeat the fascist beasts, mostly by hanging out on top of the turret but that's neither here nor there.
Brawler3_2

Postby chippybomber » 15 Aug 2014 11:41

Nice choice! I was contemplating building this one myself for this GB, but as variety is the spice of life I'll have a go at something else - once I've finished my current project.
Cheers,
Dierk
chippybomber

Postby Brawler3_2 » 09 Nov 2014 16:55

Thanks Chippy, but remember that your always free to choose. One can never have too many IS-2's ;)

It's been a long while since anything got posted here but I have been doing some work. I've slowly started to modify the nose with plasticcard. Currently I'm about 75% done.It still needs the fittings and some cutting torch marks as well as widening the front glacis to cover the tops. But I wanted to see if anyone could give me pointers as to the accuracy of it so far. The main problem is that most vehicles have the spare tracks in place, making it difficult to see how the plates interlock. So any help with that will be more than welcome.

Brawler3_2

Postby Minsk94 » 10 Nov 2014 03:18

Maybe this will help. I think the lower front armor plate should look thicker.
Otherwise I think you did a hell of a job on that nose! :awesome:

I will see if I can find something better than this photo.
Best Regards,
Alex

Minsk94
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Brawler3_2 » 12 Mar 2015 10:56

Thread necromancy? You better believe it.

So first of all my apologies for not updating sooner, but it turns out that an MA is quite demanding. I've also been in a bit of a lull in the build of the IS, but I picked it up recently and started doing some work on the thing. The most straightforward things I did were adding some casting marks and grab handles. Whether or not the bottom row is in the right position remains to be seen: most vehicles appear to have had them welded on underneath the casting seam, but I've seen one or two that had them mounted above that. I've also installed the kit grilles and added some bolt detail, as well as the shovel. I might pirate the saw for the left side from a PE set for the T-34-85.

The most important thing is that I've all but finished the nose of this tank. I've thickened the front plate bit on Alex' advice and it looks much more like a UZTM-built vehicle now. I need to add some weld seams and fiddle with the details on the lower front hull a bit, but it's nearly done up front.

In the back I've started adding some detail as well. Once most of the major stuff on the hull is done I can start adding the brackets for the towing cables. I'm also i the process of detailing the travel lock.

Eventually I also need to build the fenders as well as the brackets for the fuel tanks and add a ton more weld seams. There's also a bit detail to be added on the muzzle break and the hatches (incidentally, if anyone knows what the inside of the loader's hatch looked like, I'd love to have some accurate reference material). Whether I can get this thing built and painted before the deadline remains to be seen, but at least it's on my radar again.
Brawler3_2

Return to Group Build "The Final Days"