T-62 Mod. 1962 - Soviet invasion of Czecoslovakia

T-62 Mod. 1962 - Soviet invasion of Czecoslovakia

Postby bullardino » 24 Nov 2013 00:44

Here it is my contribution to this Group build.

This is the image that inspired this build:

The kit:

I will use the markings included in the kit, so I will depict tank 953 as it was used in Bratislava during spring 1968 invasion:

I already started the build, but I was told that, being the build under 50%, I could join. This is what I already did:

I started from the lower hull, following the very clear instruction leaflet

then moved to the upper hull

and adding details I finished the hull

At this point I had clear in mind that two things needed improvement.

First of all the kit doesn't provide all the complex tube system that brings the fuel from the external cells inside the hull. So I got me some monofilament insulated electric wire and replicated it:

The other thing totally missing is the additional fuel cell that 953 had on the tool box. Luckily a good friend had a spare one to share, so I didn't have to cast a copy. I had to set the correct stance, and with trial and error process I think I got it. You can see it in the pic above.

The last point that needed attention was the light guards on the front of the tank. I started fitting the kit part, but it was too thick and a little out of scale and shape. Following the directions of another friend who had already scratched one, I did this:

I think it's an improvement on the kit part, so I'll stick with it.

I then switched to the wheels and tracks. First of all I cleaned all the rubber wheels, sanding down the tread details on the external part, as it wore out very rapidly.

The final result before paint is this:

As you can see I added some damage to the rubber, as it commonly happened to lose part of the rubber.

This is, more or less (the light guards are still the original ones) the state it's in right now:

At the moment I'm cleaning the tracks and sorting some replacement tree trunk, as the kit's plastic replica doesn't satisfy me.

Hope you like it :)
Last edited by bullardino on 16 Mar 2014 11:59, edited 1 time in total.
bullardino
Just Got Here
Just Got Here

Re: T-62 Mod. 1962 - Soviet invasion of Czecoslovakia

Postby Minsk94 » 24 Nov 2013 02:11

Great start!
I also think that adding the scratch built headlight guards look much better than the original plastic ones. One of the downsides of the plastic kits - most of the small parts are way to thick for a proper scale.
Tubing for the fuel tanks is a nice touch too.

Was the barrel in the kit already or did you buy it extra?
Best Regards,
Alex

Minsk94
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bullardino » 24 Nov 2013 09:51

First of all thanks a lot :)

The barrel is OOB, this kit is full of very nice details. The light guards, together with the tree trunk in the back, were the worst part of all the kit. Re the plumbings, I still have to figure out how they did with the right tank. From the pic I posted you can see there's a tube linked to it, but I dunno where it ends. I will have to be "creative" in that regard :)

I still have to add a lot of wirings, handles and other little details.

One of the nicest things of this kit is that they decided to mould separately the inner rim and the rubber wheel, so no boring masking will be needed.

I will also be using kit's tracks, as they are very nicely moulded.
bullardino
Just Got Here
Just Got Here

Postby bullardino » 16 Mar 2014 12:24

Here you are a very little update on this build.

I had to redo all my mancave, so all my modeling jobs have been on hold. Later on, I started two new builds that have absorbed most of my (little) modeling time.

Anyway, I managed to do all the wheels:

Now I have to find the time to do the tracks. I hope next weekend will be the right one...

See you soon(ish)
bullardino
Just Got Here
Just Got Here

Return to Group Build "Soviet/Russian Armor & Artillery"