Trumpeter KV-1

Trumpeter KV-1

Postby chippybomber » 30 Mar 2014 18:52

Hello everybody,
Here's my entry: Trumpeter's KV-1 with applique armour and some PE by eduard and Voyager as well as some resin goodies by TAHK/TANK
My second model on returning to the hobby a few years ago was a KV-1 (by Tamiya - I didn't know any better at the time :oops: )
More soon, I hope.
Cheers,
Dierk
chippybomber

Re: Trumpeter KV-1

Postby chippybomber » 02 Apr 2014 10:10

I'm using a painting technique that differs from the norm, which I read about in a German modelling mag.
Not easy to see in these pictures, but after the primer I added some shading by using white mixed whith black. Darker on the lower hull, especially under the mudguards getting gradually lighter on vertical surfaces becoming lighter still on horizontal ones:

Here's where it gets a bit weird: pin-wash and streaks are applied at this stage:

Then comes the first of several (at least five) coates of heavily diluted paint. I mix about 10 drops of paint (Vallejo Air) per 1ml of destilled water:

Thanks for looking and any comments welcome.
chippybomber

Postby Minsk94 » 02 Apr 2014 22:42

Welcome to the build, Dierk!
I think it is coming out ok. Though, I am not a big fan of photoetched chains (like on your pistol port "plugs"). I found out a while ago you can order some really tiny chains from a scale railroad suppliers. I would hardly recommend those!
Best Regards,
Alex

Minsk94
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bullardino » 03 Apr 2014 07:23

Welcome aboard, mate :)

Great to see you here too :)
bullardino
Just Got Here
Just Got Here

Postby chippybomber » 03 Apr 2014 10:29

Minsk94 wrote:Welcome to the build, Dierk!
I think it is coming out ok. Though, I am not a big fan of photoetched chains (like on your pistol port "plugs"). I found out a while ago you can order some really tiny chains from a scale railroad suppliers. I would hardly recommend those!

I agree, but I need to add that I'm currently not at home, where I have most of my equipment and supplies, so I'm stuck with what I've got. Hope you can turn a blind eye ;)

Some more progress - second coat:

And third coat:

More soon, I hope.
Dierk
chippybomber

Postby Minsk94 » 03 Apr 2014 13:30

To be honest, with your model I am more interested in your painting. I have never seen anyone doing a pin wash before an actual paint job, but it looks like it is coming out pretty good. ;) Learning something new every day...
Best Regards,
Alex

Minsk94
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby chippybomber » 04 Apr 2014 10:24

Minsk94 wrote:To be honest, with your model I am more interested in your painting. I have never seen anyone doing a pin wash before an actual paint job, but it looks like it is coming out pretty good. ;) Learning something new every day...

I read about this technique in a German modelling magazine (Modell Fan) - it's based on a method developed by a Spanish modeller, Jose Luis Lopez. Glad you're liking it.

Another day, another layer (4):

Another 2-3 layers should do the trick.

Thanks for looking
chippybomber

Postby chippybomber » 06 Apr 2014 11:14

More coats of 4BO - 5th:

6th and final coat with some detail painting started:

More soon. Thanks for looking and comments welcome.
Dierk
chippybomber

Postby chippybomber » 07 Apr 2014 10:07

After an oil dot wash and a layer of dust (using a roughly 50/50 mix of Vallejo khaki and ivory) this is where we are now:

Tracks next.
chippybomber

Postby chippybomber » 19 Apr 2014 15:09

I have to admit that the weathering has pretty much covered all the groundwork I layed with the paintjob - maybe I should try to restrain my weathering - but I'm quite happy with how it turned out:

I had intended to add a figure, but it just didn't look right.

Dirt from the exhaust is made using soot from a candle:

I really enjoyed building this kit, but wished I'd spent the extra on Friuls so I could have left one of the return rollers off to show a damaged vehicle. Next time, maybe.

Thanks for looking,
cheers,
Dierk
chippybomber

Postby Minsk94 » 04 May 2014 02:45

I think tracks came out pretty nice. I really see no reason to do anything else in there; maybe only to dry brush the raised surfaces to show the worn out metal.
Otherwise, the model is nice. There are some questionable moments, but I think it is not an occasion to fall into rivet counting. Plus, this was only one build that was finished. Don't even need to vote for the first place winner. :)

Thanks for being a part of it, Dierk!
Best Regards,
Alex

Minsk94
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Minsk94 » 12 May 2014 23:28

Dierk, since you are obviously the one who wins the first prize, please, contact me with your address via PM, so I can mail it to you.
Thanks!
Best Regards,
Alex

Minsk94
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby chippybomber » 13 May 2014 14:11

PM sent.
Although the win was by dafault, and admittedly the other projects were of a higher standard than mine, I'm absolutely delighted!!! First time I won anything model-related, and not only that, it's actually a prize I want.
Cheers,
Dierk
chippybomber

Return to Group Build "Soviet/Russian Armor & Artillery"