We welcome your help & submissions!

The virtual office of "The Armor Journal" Magazine

We welcome your help & submissions!

Postby Minsk94 » 09 Oct 2012 06:58

Hello, everyone, and thank you again for joining our Facebook page And Forum!

As the work has started on the first issue of our journal we would like to ask you for your contributions. No, not the money, but your knowledge, your expertise and your experience. We welcome you and your submissions to the Journal; we welcome it all – either you want to contribute regularly, or just once. We are interested in all kinds of materials armor related: articles – historical reviews and researches, technical articles and articles on a history of the armored warfare; scale modeling related materials such as “build articles” (preferably, but not necessary, the builds with kit corrections, not just OOB), tips and techniques, in depth (not just what-I-see-in-a-box) reviews; we also welcome your photos, incl. walkarounds.

Unfortunately, at this point in time we are not able to compensate our contributors yet. But we will get there eventually, and hopefully, very soon. This is why for at this time all rights to the published materials and photos belong to their authors.

We are also interested in people joining our staff. If you love armor, armor history and/or armor modeling; if you are fluent (more or less…) in English language, if you have enough free time and enough drive and will to become a part of the Armor Journal, to make it succeed and to build it to be the best armor themed publication out there – let us know! We need people like that.

We are planning to publish each issue of the magazine as soon as we accumulate enough materials, but in the future we would like to publish it at least as often as bi-monthly. Each issue will feature a photo on the front cover (just like your favorite fashion magazine). Which photo will be featured may be up to you. Send us your pictures and we will pick one to be on the cover.

*Photos submitted will have to be taken by you or be a public domain. What is considered to be public domain can be different in different country.

*Photos submitted for publications have to be at 300dpi. Quality required for print is different than the quality required for the internet. Right now, while the magazine is only e-published, 200dpi is enough.
*If you submit an article please cite and give credit to your sources.

*Vendors and manufacturers, if you would like to advertise with us the space in the first two issue will be free. Details can be found here: http://www.armorjournal.com/advertisers.php

With any editorial, advertising and submission questions, please e-mail to info (at) armorjournal.com

With organizational and administrative questions (including joining the staff) please e-mail to a.zaretser (at) armorjournal.com

Thanks again for your support and we hope you have a wonderful week!
Best Regards,
Alex

Minsk94
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: We welcome your help & submissions!

Postby John Winner » 09 Oct 2012 08:05

I have a couple articles that I was thinking of submitting. What format do you want them to be in? Also, some of the articles are not directly articles on armor but on reading German military charts, encountered during research, dealing with combat formations and unit data. I am not sure if these are within the scope of the publication. Please let me know.

John
John Winner
Just Got Here
Just Got Here

Postby Minsk94 » 09 Oct 2012 14:34

Hey, John! Thanks for your help offer! As long as it is related to armor in any way, for example, it could be about armored units or formations. The submissions don't have to exactly about the "piece of metal" per se. It just have to be armor related.

Alex
Best Regards,
Alex

Minsk94
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby John Winner » 09 Oct 2012 15:20

What format would you like them in (PDF, Doc, etc...)

John
John Winner
Just Got Here
Just Got Here

Postby Minsk94 » 09 Oct 2012 15:29

The texts as doc or docx file is fine. Images - raw, jpg, png, or tiff. We will not publish without your final ok, so the final layout will be shown to authors for the approval. But we would like it in by the first week of December.
Best Regards,
Alex

Minsk94
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby John Winner » 10 Oct 2012 08:20

I will get them cleaned up and sent off as soon as possible.
John Winner
Just Got Here
Just Got Here

Postby minuteman1636 » 12 Oct 2012 04:44

So, do I understand correctly that the Armor Journal will have content that is a mix between model related subjects and 'real' armor subjects?

I'm excited to see where your venture goes and how it develops.

Thanks for your time.

Brent Sauer
minuteman1636
Just Got Here
Just Got Here

Postby Jim Snyder » 12 Oct 2012 22:59

I have four 1/72nd dioramas in mind all based in April 1944 at the Krivasso Bridgehead. I am slowly acquiring the necessary information and pieces/parts for these. All of these are based on the books "Panzerkampfgruppe Strachwitz" by Michael H. Pruett and "Tigers in the Mud" by Otto Carius. I have also found certain amount of help from Google Earth and videos and stills of the battle found on line. One resource is the report on Estonian soil types which fortunately cover the area of the battles. It will be possible to model the soil horizons accurately.

The first diorama is based on the stalled Tiger I column during Strachwitz III when the lead Tiger hit a mine. The mud prevented going offroad and the attack stalled for hours before Otto Carius was put in charge of the advance. These are shown in the images on pages 50-51 in "Panzerkampfgruppe Strachwitz" at the point where the German propaganda photographer was in the column. There is a mid model Tiger I pointing it's barrel to the south to cover the column from the Russian units. Beside it is a knocked out and mud covered SU-122 assault gun. Panzer Grenadiers are sitting, walking, and hiding behind the TIger as they wait for the column to move. The thing that would make the diorama interesting is that the Tiger is using the SU-122 for cover.

Today's pieces/parts acquired were 0.055" styrene rods for torsion bars for the Tiger's suspension and a backup strip of balsa as a backup. The Balsa needs to be rounded to work as a torsion bar, but has enough give in the twist to make the suspension work. The styrene appears (inside the package) to have some give and I think is close to the proper diameter, but I will have to start working on it before I settle on what works.

Problems to solve include the lack of a correct turret for the Tiger I in 1/72nd that is hollow, trying to figure out the drive shaft and differential, and how to cut out hatches that are molded shut. More later...
Jim Snyder
Just Got Here
Just Got Here

Postby Andrezas » 17 Apr 2013 14:35

Will be happy to help TAJ in any form of help may be needed, You can count on me.
If a person is a person to a person, then a person is a person to a person aswell.
Andrezas
Just Got Here
Just Got Here

Return to "The Armor Journal" Magazine