Advice needed for Noob in modeling

Ask questions or share your knowledge. This place is for modelers.

Advice needed for Noob in modeling

Postby Andrezas » 17 Apr 2013 14:13

I would like to start my own plastic armored vehicles collection in scale 1:35 You guys can laught at me and call me noob if u like, but I have to start from something... and in one way or another I will start doing it. So I need advice, what tools do I need? how to arrange my working space? what makers should I start from ( easier to build for noobies)?
Thank you for your advices in advance :)
If a person is a person to a person, then a person is a person to a person aswell.
Andrezas
Just Got Here
Just Got Here

Re: Advice needed for Noob in modeling

Postby Minsk94 » 19 Apr 2013 22:36

I think it is more a question of your own preference. The tools - obviously, a hobby knife and a set of small grain sand paper. i prefer to use nail files like this: http://www.nailfileprinting.co.uk/commu ... 552201.jpg
They are pretty much just a sand paper on a stick. They come with really coarse grain or really fine. Much easier to use than a plain sand paper sheets and so much cheaper than the same things but issued especially for modelers. I would also recommend a small needle nose pliers or just a tweezers to handle small details. This is all you need to start: knife, sanding sticks and tweezers. You may also invest into some modeling putty or something similar to fill gaps. Everything else may end up being a waste of money. Start building and you will decide as you go what other items you may need.
As far as a kit manufacturer for a beginner I would recommend Tamiya - not a lot of details, and a very good fit. But they are expensive. Or you can get something cheap from older Dragon kits. Don't expect them to be too historically accurate, though.
Best Regards,
Alex

Minsk94
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Andrezas » 20 Apr 2013 08:46

Thank you, and what about that checkered basis? I often see, that people use it on their working tables. I understand, that its marked in inches or milimeters, but How does it help ?
If a person is a person to a person, then a person is a person to a person aswell.
Andrezas
Just Got Here
Just Got Here

Postby Minsk94 » 20 Apr 2013 21:16

Andrezas wrote:...I understand, that its marked in inches or milimeters, but How does it help ?

No idea. If I need to measure something I use a ruler. but that mat is pretty convenient to work on. But I know people work just as well on a sheet of plexiglass or acrylic glass. Personal preferences again.
Best Regards,
Alex

Minsk94
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Andrezas » 21 Apr 2013 10:01

Oh, thanks, I was worried that this mat is "Must Have" for modelling :) Ok I'll do my reaserch on what model makers can I buy localy :)
Andrezas
Just Got Here
Just Got Here

Postby FV432 » 18 May 2013 21:33

The mat your after is a cutting mat not necessary but with many modelling tools if you dont have it you'll want it ;)

it also helps with "pingers" those irreplaceable parts that end up on the floor lost forever :o
FV432
Just Got Here
Just Got Here

Postby Minsk94 » 18 May 2013 23:30

People use all kind of "catching devices" in order to not those details to fall on a floor. But the worst situation is when they not fall but fly away.
Best Regards,
Alex

Minsk94
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby FV432 » 19 May 2013 14:02

Minsk94 wrote:People use all kind of "catching devices" in order to not those details to fall on a floor. But the worst situation is when they not fall but fly away.

the good old "pinger" flies off into oblivion usually i find them when i have built the kit and hoovering up the mancave lol
FV432
Just Got Here
Just Got Here

Return to Tips and Techniques